Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow and unrelated gentrification thoughts


I ain't going out. Yeah, the streets aren't that bad but I got the annual leave and I hate waiting for the bus in the cold, so I ain't going out.

Anyways, looking at somethings on gentrification and London I found a sentence that stayed on my mind for a while. In a review of Tim Butler's book London Calling: The Middle Classes and the Re-making of Inner London the reviewer writes "newcomers arriving with limited resources usually have little chance to settle in established, traditional middle-class neighbourhoods." The middle classes who gentrify a hood move in because they are locked out of middle class neighborhoods. I gather there are two options for them, one move into working class neighborhoods or move to a newly carved out suburban community. Gentrification vs sprawl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home