Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mulch

Over at ANC Kevin's site is an announcement that free mulch is available near 5th & P. I've already grabbed some, and will probably grab some more later this week.
I'm not taking it for my yard, but for the vacant property near me. My street has a reputation to uphold for cute yards. Though I can't do too much about the occupied houses with people who don't do anything with their fronts, I can take control over one yard. What I figure I can do is chop up the weeds, lay down some newspaper or thick cardboard, wet it, then cover it with the mulch. I will leave some open spots to plant day lilies and other items that I'm moving out of my own garden.
Maybe if there is mulch left and if I haven't thrown out my back and if I still have the energy, I might try to talk one of the neighbors into letting me do their yard.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3/19/2008 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the newspaper really work? I'm always afraid that it would get uncovered like that black plastic we see so often and then just look bad.

 
At 3/19/2008 10:27 AM, Blogger Mari said...

I'm using newspaper and cardboard because over time they will break down, unlike the black plastic. For a short while they create a weed barrier, but after a season they will eventually be compost. The second part of this is that I need to have several inches of mulch on top of the paper. I'm aiming for 2 1/2-3 inches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home