Friday, April 25, 2008

Going backwards in heels to music

This has nothing to do with Shaw. Or even the District of Columbia. This falls under the "it's my blog I'll post what I want" rule.

Every year I look forward to the annual 'Evening with Strauss Viennese Waltz' at Glen Echo. It's where I dig out one of my only two formal dresses, pack a couple of heels and somehow get myself out to the wilds of Maryland to dance with strangers in tuxes.
If you haven't been out to Glen Echo Park for anything, I highly recommend you go at least once and if possible do something in the Spanish Ballroom. There are a couple of different regular dances out there for swing/lindy hop, waltz, zydeco, contra, and folk held in the ballroom. I don't remember if I've been on the merry-go-round there. I believe it will be in operation this weekend, so if my dance card is free and it is still on, I'll probably go for a ride.
Oh yes, for the annual waltz there are dance cards. You get a tiny pencil and a little booklet on a string and you try to get the card filled out (or not in my case as I don't know how to tango and there is at least 1 tango for the night). Besides the main waltzing, there is the tango, and one German named dance that involves a lot of hopping and though quite fun, by the time you really get into it, it's over. All in all it is great fun, a great excuse to dust off the formal wear and cheap ($15 bucks).

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4/25/2008 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the german dance is called the Chicken Dance. check it out on youtube (it's an old episode of the Lawrence Welk show).

i keep trying to memorize it, but it's just too complicated.

 
At 4/25/2008 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r the belle of the ball!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home