Monday, August 17, 2009

Can Can pt 2


Crushed tomatoes
Originally uploaded by spinnerin
Okay picking up from the last post, BL arrived and I aready had peeled, cored and sorta un-seeded the tomatoes. I also had going a boiling pot of hot water, a small sauce pan of hot water with the lids in them and the canner boiling with empty glass jars in them.
The way we did it was I would take out a jar, empty it of water, put it on a towel and BL would fill it with raw tomatoes and remove air bubbles. Then I would pour water from the pot into the jar giving it 1/2 inch of head space. BL would put on the lid, and screw on the band. We did this and put all the jars in the canner when I realized I forgot a step.
I was supposed to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. So all the jars had to come back out and I put the missing stuff in and then they went back into the canner. There was about 1-2 inches of boiling water covering the jars. I put the lid on and boiled them for 40 minutes. Once 40 minutes was up, we took them out tightened the bands, and let them cool. Once cooled, they got labeled.
So now I have lots of locally grown shelf stable tomatoes available for recipies and sauce making.

2 Comments:

At 8/17/2009 3:59 PM, Blogger si said...

My mom said you can throw the tomatoes in the blender instead of peeling & deseeding. do you know what is the shelf life of canned tomatoes?

I'll be my eyes peeled for more tomato specials, this sounds like a ball ;)

 
At 8/18/2009 9:20 AM, Blogger Mari said...

One year is the shelf life for best quality. From my odd reading of home food storage systems is the idea that you should be eating what you're storing on a regular (3 mo.) basis, constantly adding and subtracting food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home